Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"The Substitute"

"John Locke was a believer, a man of faith, and a much better man than I will ever be. And I'm very sorry I murdered him."















Greetings Fellow Losties!

Last night was a Locke-centric episode and boy, oh boy, it didn't disappoint! I'm not sure if it's becaused I'm biased towards the central characters (Locke, Sawyer, and a little bit of my Lost-Boyfriend - Benjamin Linus) in last night's episode, or because Terry O'Quinn is such an amazing actor, but I was gleeful after watching - dissecting the episode over and over again in my mind. In fact, I even dreamed about it - or at least I think I did, it was a weird dream. But anyway, back to the point at hand -- last night we kinda, sorta got some answers! Granted, they may be lie-infused/tainted answers provided by Old Smokey, but we at least began to see a correlation between the infamous numbers and our beloved island-dwellers.

First, let's breakdown what happened -- but the short, short version. Alright, it won't be that short, but it won't be the epic novella my season premiere blog post was - oy! I had some major finger crampage after that one! I'll try to be concise, it's just SO hard!

Timeline A (Off-Island) --
Locke returns from his trip to Austrailia, only to fall on his face when the car elevator thingy jams. And then the sprinklers go off - and rather then curse the fates and blame destiny, Locke laughs at the humor of it all. Who is this new/improved John "I'm-not-blaming-the-world-I'm-just-gonna-go-with it" Locke? I don't know, but I think I like him! But he's still a parapalegic who's fallen out of his chair and is getting soaked. So, just when I'm starting to feel bad for him, out runs a woman who we recognize and he is comforted by his love, Helen. Helen! Peggy Bundy! Yay!!! I love it! They're planning a wedding, and while she doesn't want him to give up on destiny and hope, saying he should call Dr. Jack Shepard - the spinal surgeon he just happened to run into at the airport. She also really needs his help in picking out chair colors and whatnot. The two seem to be extremely happy. Awww!!!

When Helen speaks about giving up on all this wedding hoopla and eloping, she mentions bringing her parents and John's dad. So, presumably in this timeline, John didn't get thrown out of a window by his dear old dad, Anthony, because that would be one massive show of forgiveness. It was a relief to see that the love between Helen and Locke didn't end (the way it did in the old timeline, when he couldn't stop stalking his Dad, still pissed about that whole kidney-stealing thing) - that would have bummed me out!

Locke goes back to work only to be fired by his douche-bag (quoteth Hurley) boss. I hate his boss, he sucks! Locke admits that he didn't go on the walkabout - aw... boo! He is kept within the confines of his wheelchair, and throws a tantrum when he can't get his car elevator to work because it's being blocked by a large yellow Hummer. Did anyone else notice that in the box he was carrying was polar bear figurine? You can only see it when the camera looks at Locke from Hurley's angle, but -- Hee! Awesome...

So, the Hummer is owned by Hurley - the owner of the Box Company - who feels bad for John and offers to hook him up with a new job via the temp agency he also owns. Locke goes to Hurley's temp agency, and is placed (after a weird interview asking him what animal he associates with himself) by Rose.

Rose!!! She's off the island, still has cancer, but accepts it - and has peace via her acceptance. She tells Locke to stop projecting what he wants onto his life, and start accepting who he is . Damn, with her calm tones and lovely self, I have to just say - I LOVE ROSE!

After meeting with Rose, Locke's lost luggage shows up. He admits to Helen that he got fired, that he lied about going to a conference in Austrailia, and for her to open the case. I kept thinking, "Man, if I were him, I'd have a lock on that case full of knives! Shizzz!"She looks at the knives with minimal alarm. He confesses about the walkabout, that he didn't get to go, and that he was silly for yelling at the walkabout people, because in reality, they were right. He claims he's sick of waiting for a miracle, he doesn't believe in them. She rips up Jack's card, but tells him she still believes in miracles and all she's waiting for is him - (kissy, kissy) awww!!!

But back to the whole Rose thing. The whole exchange with her reminds me of "Cabin Fever" - the episode where John is lured over and over again to go to the island. In it, John's science teacher tries to get him to go to Mittelos Bioscience Camp - stating that John has the potential to be an amazing scientist. Only now, instead of fighting it, he embraces her advice. So now, ta da! He's a "substitute" SCIENCE TEACHER!

Awesome, just AWESOME! He's teaching gym class, lecturing about the reproductive system, and eating lunch in the Teacher's Lounge with -- dun dun DAH.... Benjamin Linus! I ADORE the way our fabulous Professor Linus was introduced - bitching about throwing away coffee filters and pseudo-lecturing the lounge about proper coffee maker etiquette - Heh! John asks for tea, and Ben whips around for a speedy introduction. He's Benjamin Linus and he teaches European History, Locke introduces himself as John Locke, "The Substitute."

Paul and I got into a deep discussion about Lost before bed - yes folks, this is what our marital pillowtalk on Tuesday nights consist of - Lost dissection! We were trying to figure out the timeline -- because Benjamin Linus still had to make it to the island as a young boy for the incident to happen the way it did, right? I mean Sayid straight shot Little Ben, then Kate and Sawyer got him resurrected and inducted into the Brotherhood of Otherhood, and all that happened before the H-bomb went off, so that stuff didn't change, right?

Timeline B (On-Island) --
Smokey (or "Substitute" Flocke - you like how they did that play on the word? I did, but I'm easily amused by anything Lost throws at me) travels through the island (in a piece of excellent camera work that gives us a smoke-eye view) and finds Sawyer, boozing it up in New Otherton. Before he heads there via Locke's old body, he cuts Richard down from a Rousseu-style trap, tries to get Rich to go with him to - claiming it's what he's always wanted. He says that John Locke's a "candidate" - Richard has no idea what the heck Flocke is talking about when he says "candidate." Flocke realizes Jacob hasn't told Richard anything and offers answers if Richard goes with him. Richard patently refuses - despite Flocke's ominous statement "People seldom get a second chance..." Also, while they talk, Flocke sees the image of a boy, who looks like an older version of Aaron, standing in the jungle with his arms covered in blood - WHAAAA????

Back at the statue, Ilana's having a good cry over Jacob and her Jacobettes. Ben shows up to "comfort" her - telling her that Flocke killed all these people (he turned into a pillar of smoke and took them all out)...AND Flocke killed Jacob - Liar! Gasp! As she gathers Jacob's ashes and puts them into a little pouch, Ben asks why Richard was carried into the jungle. Ilana ominously (again, they're all so ominous on this damn island!) says, "He's recruiting." For what???

Cut to Flocke looking for Sawyer - he finds him, drunk as a skunk on Dharma-brand liquor. Sawyer's momentarily confused - "I thought you were dead....?" Flocke doesn't beat around the bush, "I am." He confirms. Sawyer may be drunk, but he's not stupid (and don't forget he's a master con-man) so it's only fitting that he's able to intrinsically just know that Flocke isn't the real Locke. Flocke recruits Sawyer by promising him a tasty tidbit -- the answer to the question that he's (and we've) been asking this WHOLE time -- Why are these specific people here on the island????

Back on Dead Locke Beach - the real Locke is dead. Sun, Ilana, Ben, and Lapidus prepare to go to the Temple - Sun tries to get all badass for a minute, but Ilana tells her if she wants to find Jin to get her ass in gear. They start to head out, but Sun insists they bury Locke. I wonder if that has something to do with Flocke's new inability to leave his body - maybe he won't be able

They travel to a cave, only briefly interuppted by that same blonde kid (who this time, Sawyer can see also -- Richard couldn't see him before. The kid, (Aaron? Jacob? He looks like half of Hansel and Gretel, heh!) says, "You know the rules, you can't kill him" (who exactly is him? Sawyer? Jacob? Argh!) at which point, Flocke goes all Locke-like and starts screaming Locke's old catchphrase -- "Don't tell me what I can't do!"

While Flocke is chasing Hansel, Richard pops out of the bushes to try to get Sawyer to come with him to the temple and (ominously) warns Sawyer that Flocke wants everyone dead. Richard warms of deception and death, and then runs frantically into the bushes. When he returns from his Hansel-chase, Sawyer asks Flocke about the kid, Flocke plays dumb, making Sawyer UBER-suspicious! Especially since Richard just warned that Flocke was most-definatley trying to kill everyone.

Sawyer decides to have an Of Mice and Men moment with Flocke -- which Flocke claims is after his time. Jeeez! How old is this guy? And why does he answer direct questions with vague bullshit!?! When Sawyer pulls out a gun asks him specifically what he is, Flocke replies, "What I am, is trapped." Oy vey! But before he was trapped, he was a man - he claims he knows joy, pain, anger, fear, betrayal, and loss of love -- WOW, he's experience every theme on this show! He keeps a bullet out of his brain by promising Sawyer that he's so close!

Back on the beach, Ilana and Ben are carrying the real Locke, with Ben asking Ilana some interesting questions -- why did she have to bring the body to the statue in the first place? She had to show the people what they were up against. What's to keep Flocke from changing his face? He can't he's stuck in Locke's body. Sweet! They travel to the graveyard housing Boone, Shannon, Ana Lucia, Libby, Nikki, and Paulo, where the men dig a hole for Locke's body, and Ilana asks if anyone wants to say anything. Ben reluctantly takes the floor. Here's where this scene becomes one of my favorite Lost moments of all time --
Ben's eulogy: "John Locke was a believer, a man of faith, and a much better man than I will ever be. And I'm very sorry I murdered him."

Lapidus' response: "Weirdest damn funeral I've ever been to!" - HA!

Flocke and Sawyer travel to this mysical cave (only pausing briefly to have Sawyer nearly die on a rope ladder and Flocke save him - giving Sawyer confidence that Flocke isn't really trying to kill him (at least not yet!). Inside the cave, Flocke walks to a scale with one black rock and one white rock resting equally. He takes the white rock off the scale and chucks it out into the ocean - confusing Sawyer and titillating us! He claims it's an "inside joke" - LOL!


He takes Sawyer into the cave, where on the wall are written the following:
Stating - THIS is why you're here James, this is why you're ALL here! Just in case you don't have excellent vision - Flocke walks Sawyer through the pertinent names on the wall.

Shepard - 23, Reyes - 8, Jirrah - 16, Kwon - 42 (either Sun or Jin), Locke - 4, and Ford - 15

Flocke explains that Sawyer and crew are on Jacob's list for being a "candidate." A candidate to take over Jacob's role as protector of the island -- a role which Flocke says is superfluous and bullshit. He also reminds Sawyer that Jacob must have visited him at some point int his life and irrevocably altered his life, just like with the rest of the names listed on the wall. That Jacob is the bad guy - and Flocke is there to break the cycle. Oh, and Jacob's dead, and Flocke doesn't feel the slightest bit of sadness over it. Flocke crosses out Locke's name as he explains Sawyer's options.

Option 1 - Do nothing.
Option 2 - Be the new Jacob and protect the island (which Flocke claims isn't special at all, and that Jacob messed with them all by bringing them here for no reason)

Option 3 - Just go - leave the island (together) and never look back.

Sawyer picks option #3, with a "Hell yes!" Uh-oh...

BAD ROBOT! D'oh! No more until next week - argh!

So, there are a lot of things to think about -- first, the names on the wall, holy smokes! So, each name corresponds with a number, becaues "Jacob has a thing for numbers" and the combination of these numbers, these people, are the "magical" numbers that everyone's been pondering over for years. I have a feeling there's more to it then simply having a thing for numbers.

What's interesting is that there are A LOT more names on the wall -- you have to freeze frame and have a lot of free time (Yes, I have no life) to catch them - but WOW!

Here's the breakdown (Some of these are speculation, but if you go REALLY slow you can see, or maybe I'm reading WAY too much into my freeze frame) --

OceanicAlive
8 –Reyes
15 - Ford
16 – Jarrah
23 – Shepard
42 – Kwon (Jin or Sun? Both?)
313 – Littleton (Claire? Aaron?)

Dead
195 – Pace
4 – Locke
Others
10 – Mattingley
317 – Cunningham
117 – Linus (Roger? Emily? Ben?)
55 ? – Burke

Dharma???
– Goodspeed (Horace? Olivia? Ethan?)
134 ? – Chang

French Team
? – Lacombe

Freighter
Lewis
Faraday171
? – Straume

US Army
233 – Jones (Wasn't Widmore's uniform labeled, "Jones"???)

The weird thing about the wall - which I'm sure you've all cottoned onto - is that Kate's name is suspiciously absent! Now, we all recall the season 5 finale where Jacob visited all our favorite and physically touched them in some way - well, Kate was most certainly one of those, so WTF?!?
Now, it's no secret that I've never been a Kate fan, although I don't hate her as much as I used to -- but I'm kind of pissy that she wasn't included... Unless, she's supposed to be a Shepard??? Or she has something to do with Aaron? I honestly think he's the real candidate - and possibly that random kid, Hansel.




Also, it stands to reason that Flocke is a big, fat, liar. He clearly has an agenda, "To go home." But we don't know where that home is, what will happen should he leave the island, and if his ability to change forms will travel with him off the island, and if he's telling the truth about the island really being insignificant -- I think he's a total fibber! He's clearly said everything he needs to say to get Sawyer to come with him (P.S. I like how everyone's calling him "James" now, but he'll always be "Sawyer to me) and do his bidding, but what exactly is the journey they're going on together? There are still SO many unanswered questions! But all those lists Jacob used to make sure seem to make a lot of sense now...



Which is the perfect segue into --



TARA'S BIG LIST OF QUESTIONS!!!


  1. Why did Ilana take Jacob's ashes?
  2. What's Ilana's real relationship to Jacob?
  3. What does Flocke want from Richard?
  4. What is the Flockerecruiting for?
  5. Why was the Flocke originally trapped?
  6. What "betrayal" happened to Flocke? Or was he just bullshitting?
  7. Whom did Flocke lose?
  8. Was Jacob the reason that Flocke is trapped on the island?
  9. Is it true that the Man in Black now only transform from the black smoke into John Locke?If so, why? And how does Ilana know?
  10. Why would Flocke want everyone dead as Richard claims?
  11. During what time period did Flocke originally come to the island? How old is he???
  12. Does part of Locke somehow survive in Flocke?
  13. What do the rocks on the scale represent?
  14. Why did Flock throw the white rock into the ocean? Does that mean he won?
  15. Who exactly are all the candidates? And what makes some a candidate to be a "candidate"?
  16. In what way do the original numbers correspond to Jacob's main candidates?
  17. Does the combination of numbers create the perfect candidate? Meaning that they all have to work together to form the perfect protection system?
  18. Which Kwon is referenced on the wall?
  19. Which Shepard is the wall referring to? Jack? Christian? Or Claire or Aaron - by blood?
  20. Why, oh why, was Kate, who was touched by Jacob as a child, not on the cave wall? What's her function on the island? And why did Jacob need her to be there, but not put her on the wall?
  21. Is Jacob a total misogynist??? Why all these male names and very few females?
  22. Why are some names (including those of some living people) crossed out?
  23. Why does Jacob and any potential candidate need to 'protect' the island? What's it in danger from? Who wants it? It seems like a cool, but freaky place to be...
  24. Who was Hansel (the blood-covered boy)?
  25. How did Hansel know the rules? Is he Jacob??? Aaron??? Oy! The Child
  26. When first seen, why does the boy display both his bloodied arms? What happened to him?
  27. Under what circumstances can someone see (Flocke/Sawyer) or not see (Alpert) Hansel?
  28. What is the meaning of his warning to Flocke? Why did he make Flocke go all old-school Locke?
  29. In the new timeline, how did Locke become paralyzed? Because if he's inviting his Dad to his wedding, then Anthony clearly didn't throw him out of a window!
  30. Was Ben ever on the Island? If so, how did he leave? Does he remember it? Is he trying to get back? And if not, how was the incident able to occur the way it did?
  31. When did Ben become a teacher? And why history?
  32. Is Locke's Dad a different, better person in this alternate reality? If so, how would this have affected Sawyer? Did he still con Sawyer's Mom, which led to his father's muder-suicide?
  33. When Locke was denied his walkabout, what did he do for that week in Austrailia? I mean, we know he didn't go to the Box Company's conference...
  34. What kind of Box Company throws international conferences? What the hell could they possibly talk about, abroad, for a week???

I don't know about you guys, but my brain is fried!

Until next week, Losties!

Namaste!

2 comments:

Tara the Great said...

Sorry for all the typos -- I was trying to get this out ASAP. Leave comments by clicking on the # of comments :) All comments are welcome - love this? hate this? Comment!

Unknown said...

oy vey indeed. I feel the need to point out that each week they keep advertising "no...more...questions"and yet here are 34 more right here!